The Z series is one of the few ranges of digital cameras that look absolutely nothing like any film camera because of the unique futuristic design. The casing is plastic over a metal chassis, and the build quality is excellent: light and delicatebut in the same time it feels very strong and solid.
Aside from a 5MP sensor and a couple of minor specification changes, the DiMAGE Z5 is almost identical to the Z3. The buttons are also extremely well placed, something that you can’t see on some other manufacturers. A 2 inch LCD monitor, a huge 12x optical zoom lens and Konica Minoltas innovative image stabilization system are good reasons for anyone to buy it.
In terms of performance, it starts up in just under 2 seconds, and shot-to-shot time is approximately 2.5 seconds, which is not exceptional but from slow. Continuous shooting record the last 20 pictures at 10 frames per second. The movie mode is decent, you can operate the zoom lens during recording silently, so no motor noise is recorded on the soundtrack.
Focusing, exposure and color rendition are excellent, so I can say it provides nifty performance and generally good picture quality, as long as the ISO setting is kept low, and, the image stabilization makes it one of the few super-zoom cameras that can fully exploit its impressive 420mm focal length. It’s one of the best cameras I’ve reviewed recently.
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Digital Camera Specifications
• Shooting Modes: Programmed AE, Aperture priority, Shutter priority, Manual. AE lock available
• Scene Modes: Portrait, Sports action, Landscape, Sunset, Night portrait
• Movie Mode: 640 x 480 FINE, 640 x 480 STD, 320 x 240 STD
Frame rate: 30 fps / 15 fps, Long recording until the memory card is full
• Effects: Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Sepia; Sharpness and Contrast adjustment in 3 levels
• Flash Modes: Autoflash & Autoflash with red-eye reduction, Fill-flash,
Slow shutter sync. (in Auto / P / DSPS mode), Fill-flash,
Fill-flash with red-eye reduction, Slow shutter sync. (in A/S/M mode).
• Focus Modes: 5-point wide focus area: Wide focus area / Spot focus area with Focus Area Selection, Autofocus: Single-shot AF, Continuous AF (with predictive focus control), Full-time AF, Manual focus. Focus lock available in Single-shot AF
• White Balance: Automatic, Preset (Daylight, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Flash), Custom
• Metering: Multi-segment (256 segments), Spot, Center-weighted
• 2.0 inch LCD
• 5 megapixels
• 12x optical zoom
• Focal Length: 5.83 – 69.9 mm (35mm equivalent: 35 – 420mm)
• Aperture: f/ 2.8 – f/ 4.5
• ISO Range: 50, 100, 200, 320
• Flash Range: 8 (m) / 26.2 (ft.)
• Focus Range: Wide / Tele: 0.6 m (2.0 feet) / 1.6 m (5.2 feet) to infinity
Macro: Wide: 0.1 m (0.3 feet) – 1.0 m (3.3 feet) / Tele: 1.2 m (3.9 feet) – 2.5 m (8.2 feet)
Super Macro: 1 cm (0.4 inches) – 100 cm (39.4 inches)
• Exposure Compensation: Â± 2 Ev with 1/3 Ev step
• Bracketing: 0.5 / 0.3 Ev increments; No. of bracket: 3 frames
• Continuos Shooting: yes
• Shutter Speed: 4 seconds – 1/ 1000 seconds
• Self Timer: 10 seconds / 2 seconds delay
• File Format: JPEG
• SD – Secure Digital memory
• 4x AA Ni-MH batteries, AA alkaline batteries
• Dimensions: 108.5 x 80 x 84 mm / 4.3 x 3.1 x 3.3 inches
• Weight: 340 g / 12 ounces (without batteries or recording media)