Nikon Coolpix 8800 is the first compact digital camera from Nikon with Image Stabilization. Similar to Konica Minolta and Panasonic models, this Nikon eliminates the effects of hands shake thru vibration reduction. Compared to Nikon Coolpix 8700 (8x optical zoom), Coolpix 8800 has 10x optical zoom, with focal range of 8.9 – 89 mm (35-350 mm equivalent). The autofocus has a weak point: at the clarity adjustment its not fast enough. In exchange for that, Nikon Coolpix 8800 can focus in macro mode from only 3 cm away. This thing offers at 8 megapixels, a very high resolution and details. With robust metallic body and easy to use buttons (and 21 successive modes in the menu) its an impressive camera.
The Coolpix displays a customizable “My Menu” that is shown before the full menu. You can put whatever you want in this menu. One interesting thing is the possibility to select D-Lighting mode in rendering phase, which will correct the underexposed and overexposed pictures.
The pop-up flash has an impressive working range of 0.5 – 6.0 m at wide-angle and 1.0 – 3.0 m at telephoto. The AF-assist lamp features on an external flash will not operate, regardless of the flash you’re using. Among Auto, Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual, the Scene mode includes: portrait, party/indoor, night portrait, beach/snow, landscape, sunset, night landscape, museum, fireworks, close-up, copy, backlight, panorama assist, sports, and dusk/dawn. Nikon Coolpix 8800 also comes with the Noise Reduction option for long exposures (1/4 sec or slower). Redeye is not a problem for the pop-up flash Nikon camera. Overall, a very flexible camera, allowing a lot of possibilities and very good picture quality.
• Flip-out, rotating 1.8″ LCD
• ISO sensitivity: 50-400
• Shooting speed: 0.69 seconds
• Engage speed: 4 seconds (thats a lot)
• 2,3 images/second in continuos mode at maximum resolution, up to 16 shots in a row
• Saturation Control: Auto, maximum, enhanced, normal, moderate, minimum, black & white
• Image Sharpening: Auto, high, normal, low, off
• Image Contrast: Auto, normal, more contrast, less contrast
• Exposure Compensation: -2EV to +2EV in 1/3EV increments
• White balance: Auto, preset, daylight, incandescent, fluorescent, cloudy, speedlight, shade
• Metering: Matrix, spot, center-weighted, spot AF area
• Uses Compact Flash (CF)
• File formats: JPEG, TIFF, RAW
• EN-EL7 Li-ion rechargeable battery (and unfortunately, on emergency, you can’t use regular batteries like you can on a AA-based camera)
• Wireless remote control
• Optional accessories: Wide-angle lens, Telephoto lens, Fisheye lens, Filters, External flash (The AF-assist lamp features on an external flash will not operate, regardless of the flash you’re using.).
[tags]nikon, Nikon Coolpix 8800, image stabilisation, noise reduction, 8MP, 10x optical zoom, digital camera, camera, flexible camera, picture quality, external flash[/tags]