D2Xs is an upgrade of the original D2X – Single-lens reflex digital camera with interchangeable lenses. The main improvements are: Save and Load Settings, 170 degree wide-angle viewing of the LCD, Focus Tracking Lock On options, Black and White mode, In-Camera Cropping and some changes about the continuous shooting.
Nikon D2Xs features a magnesium alloy large and heavy body with grip both front and back, built-in fixed low-pass filter on the Multi-Cam2000 AF sensor and plenty of settings (and plenty of buttons but easy to manipulate) for extreme flexibility (personally, I believe that the too many possible settings of this camera makes it hard to learn and accommodate with, on one hand, and on the other hand, you will always find something new to try out). A “shortcut” in this labyrinth is represented by “Recent Settings” menu which allows you to quickly recall settings you changed recently.
On the LCD you even have the battery remaining charge shown (excellent battery life by the way); it allows backlight / brightness adjustment and has tempered glass coating.
The viewfinder gives information about Focus indications, Shutter speed, Aperture, Exposure mode, Metering system, Shutter speed lock, Aperture lock, AE lock, Bracketing indicator, Electronic analogue display, Frame counter, Ready-light, ISO sensitivity, White balance, Image size / quality, Eleven sets of focus brackets (area). Depth of field preview is certainly not to forget.
Interesting about this digital SLR is the NMEA 0183 Interface standard supported with GPS Cable MC-35 and compass, as well as FTP file transfer with optional Wireless Transmitter WT-1 (IEEE 802.11b) or WT-2.
Image quality stands up for the expectations of such an expensive professional top line camera (heavy, flexible and responsive): low noise, sharpness, no artefact, no vignetting, natural colors.
A quote from cnet.com: Nikon’s flagship dSLR ranks among the best 35mm-format cameras currently made, but some pros may take umbrage with its less-than-full-frame sensor.
Accessories: AF Nikkor lenses (including AF-S, DX, VR and D-/G-type), D-type Manual-Focus Nikkor lenses, AI-P Nikkor except 3D Color Matrix Metering lens, filters, Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A, Extended Range Antenna WA-E1, AC Adapter EH-6, Type-E Focusing Screen, Magnifier DG-2, Anti-fog Finder Eyepiece DK-17A, Rubber Eyepiece Cup DK-19, Eyepiece Correction Lens DK-17C series, Magnifying Eyepiece DK-17M, Right-Angle Magnifying Viewing Attachment DR-5, Speed light SB-800/SB-600/R1C1, Capture NX software, Camera Control Pro Software, Image Authentication Software.
• Shooting Modes: Program Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], Manual [M]
Sharpening: Auto, Normal, Low, Medium Low, Medium High, High, None
Tone: Auto, Normal, Less Contrast, More Contrast, Custom 1,2 & 3
Hue: +/-3, +/-6, +/-9 degrees
Black & White mode -> this is new
• Flash Modes: Balanced Fill-Flash controlled by five-segment TTL Multi Sensor, Standard D-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash, Advanced Wireless Lighting, Non-TTL Auto Flash, Range-priority manual, Front-Curtain Sync (normal sync), Red-Eye Reduction, Red-Eye Reduction with Slow Sync, Slow Sync, Rear-Curtain Sync
• White Balance: Auto, 5 Presets, Manual (six steps with fine tuning), Color temperature in Kelvin (31 steps), White balance bracketing (2 to 9 frames, 10,20,30 MIRED steps)
• Metering: 11 area TTL (9 area when in High speed cropped mode) and 3D Color Matrix II, Center-Weighted and Spot
• 2.5 inch LCD offers a 170-degree wide viewing angle
• Viewfinder: optical, magnification approx 0.86x with 50 mm, Frame coverage 100%
• 12.4 effective megapixels
• ISO Range: 100 – 800 in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps, plus HI-0.3 (ISO 1000), HI-0.5 (ISO 1100), HI-0.7 (ISO 1250), HI-1 (ISO 1600), HI-2 (ISO 3200)
• Exposure Compensation: +/-5.0 EV; 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps
• Bracketing: 2 to 9 frames; 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV steps, for Exposure / Flash / White Balance
• Continuos Shooting:
Continuous High Full image – 5 fps
Continuous High speed cropped image – 8 fps
Continuous Low Full image – 1 to 4 fps (custom)
Continuous Low High speed cropped image – 1 to 7 fps (custom)
• Shutter Speed: 30 to 1/8000 sec
• Flash X-Sync: 1/250 sec
• Power-on: 0.2 sec
• Shot to Shot: 0.20 sec
• Shutter Lag: 0.045 sec
• Self Timer: 2, 5, 10 or 20 sec programmable
• File Format: NEF (12-bit RAW), NEF + JPEG, JPEG (EXIF 2.2), TIFF (RGB)
• Compact Flash Type I or II
• Lithium-Ion EN-EL4a 2500 mAh battery (1,150 shots)
[tags]Nikon D2Xs, Nikon dSLR, dSLR, nikon digital camera, raw, 12MP, versatile camera, proffesional camera, red eye reduction, low noise, manual controls[/tags]