Compared to NV10, the new Digimax NV11 from Samsung has 5x optical zoom instead of 3x, a larger LCD, and 20% more battery life (up to 220 shots). The body design is not the most impressive on the market these days, but I’ll suppose this is the last thing that matters on a solid 10MP compact with full manual controls. At the back you’ll find 13 buttons – a lot of them – used by the Smart Touch system (including Face Detection – up to an impressive number of 8 faces – which by default is off).
Advanced Shake Reduction (ASR) is available as a shooting mode and it is not a true optical image stabilizer – this is a minus for Samsung cameras. Shutter lag, shot to shot and lock focus are fast, but in low light, focusing performance lacks a bit. But now some good things about this camera: a super macro mode that reduces the distance to just 1 cm is available, a manual focus and custom white balance, which means that overall you can get creative using the NV11.
The image is quite soft (a strong noise reduction process is applied), the colors are close to the real ones (still you may want more vibrant ones), purple fringing is no problem at all, also no vignetting. Red-eye reduction does it’s job well due to the in-camera software. A bonus tip for those searching for a camera that performs well in movie mode: NV11 allows zooming during filming.
Samsung Digimax NV11 Digital Camera Specifications
• Shooting Modes: Auto, Program, Scene
• Scene Modes: Night, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Fireworks, Beach/Snow
• Movie Mode: Yes, with sound (mono); 640 x 480, 320 x 240 at 30 or 15 fps
• Effects: Sharpness (Soft, Normal, Vivid), Color (Normal, B&W, Sepia, Negative, Red, Green, Blue, RGB), Highlight, Composite, Photo Frame
• Flash Modes: Auto, Auto with Red-eye Reduction, Fill-in, Slow Synch, Forced Off.
• White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Daylight Fluorescent, Warm White Fluorescent, Tungsten, User set.
• Metering: Multi, Centre-weighted or Spot
• 2.7 inch LCD
• 10.1 megapixels
• 5x zoom
• Focal Length: 38 – 190 mm
• Aperture: f2.8 – f7.3 (Wide);f4.4 – f11 (Telephoto)
• ISO Range: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600
• Flash Range: Wide angle:0.3 – 4.9 m(1 ft – 16.07 ft);Telephoto:0.5 – 3 m(19.5 in. – 8.84 ft)
• Focus Range:
Normal Focusing distance: 80 cm (31.2 in.) – infinity
Macro Focusing distance (approx): Wide angle: 10 – 80 cm(3.9 – 31.2 in.); Telephoto: 50 – 80 cm(19.5 – 31.2 in.)
Super Macro: 1 – 10 cm(0.39 – 3.9 in.)
• Exposure Compensation: Â±2 EV in 0.3 EV increments
• Shutter Speed: 15 seconds to 1/2000 second
• Self Timer: 10 sec., 2 sec., Double self timer (10sec. & 2sec.)
• Start Time:1 second
• Time between photos: 2 – 3 seconds between first and second shot
• File Format: JPEG (DCF), EXIF 2.2
• SD/MMC – Secure Digital memory + 20MB internal memory
• Rechargeable Li-ion battery (SLB-1137D) and charger SAC-45
• Dimensions: Width 106.6 mm (4.15 in.); Height 64.2 mm (2.50 in.)
• Weight: 195.3 g (6.83 oz) without batteries and card
Latest posts by Laura (see all)
- How to professionally watermark your images for free - November 4, 2015
- New changes to Photoaxe – Becoming a Branded Website for Photographers - October 9, 2015
- How to show your online photo gallery and gain money at the same time - June 18, 2015