This is a camera with user-friendly ergonomic body design, considering an ergonomic grip. First of all, I like that Samsung thought putting a Manual Mode on a compact camera (but where are Shutter and Aperture Priority?). However, at this high resolution I would have expected at least face detection if not also image stabilization. Good that they put 45MB internal memory at this high resolution camera.
For those seeking a good camera with high megapixel resolution, the Digimax 1030 might be an option. However, if you can spear some more money, I recommend the Digimax 1050 because of the following improvements: face detection included, macro mode up to 1 cm close, longer shutter speed, Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority Modes included, even larger LCD and, the most important, 5x optical zoom instead of 3x.
Otherwise, the performance of these two cameras is quite similar, a good one. The Movie Mode is impressively for a camera meant to take photos. Another thing worth mentioning is the easy of use: the control dial on the top has all the Shooting Modes plus the most used Scene Modes; the Effect button is easy to access and the Direct Print also.
Samsung Digimax S1030 Digital Camera Specifications
• Shooting Modes: Auto, Program, Manual, Movie, Scene
• Scene Modes: Night, Portrait, Children(in Mode Dial), Landscape, Close-up, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Fireworks, Beach & Snow
• Movie Mode: 640×480, 320×240, 160×128; 30 fps, 15 fps ; Movie Stabilizer, Movie Editing (Embedded): Pause during recording, Still Image Capture, Time Trimming; AVI (MPEG-4), Audio : WAV, Voice Recording (max.1 hour), Voice Memo in Still Image (max. 10 sec.)
• Effects: Sharpness (Soft, Normal, Vivid Soft, Normal, Vivid), Color (Normal, B&W, Sepia, Red, Blue, Green, Negative, RGB)
• Flash Modes: Auto, Auto & Red-eye reduction, Fill-in flash, Slow sync, Flash off
• White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent_H, Fluorescent_L, Tungsten, Custom
• Metering: Multi, Spot
• 2.7 inch LCD
• 10.1 megapixels
• 3x optical zoom + 5x digital zoom
• Focal Length: 7.4 ~ 22.2mm (35mm film equivalent : 35~105mm)
• Aperture: F2.8 ~ F7.1(Wide), F5.1~F13.1(Tele)
• ISO Range: Auto, 80,100, 200, 400, 800, 1000
• Flash Range: 0.2m ~ 3.0m, Tele : 0.4m ~ 2.5m (ISO AUTO)
• Focus Range:
Normal : 80cm ~ Inf.
Macro : 4 ~ 80cm(Wide), 50 ~ 80cm(Tele)
Auto Macro : 4cm~Infinity (Wide), 50cm~ Infinity (Tele)
• Exposure Compensation: Â±2EV (0.5EV steps)
• Shutter Speed: 1 ~ 1/1500 sec.(Manual : 8 ~ 1/1500 sec.)
• Self Timer: 10 sec., 2 sec., Double (10 sec., 2 sec.)
• File Format: JPEG (DCF), EXIF 2.2
• SD – Secure Digital memory + 45MB internal memory
• 2x AA Alkaline or Rechargeable battery (0ptional): SNB-2512 KIT (2xAA Ni-MH Battery & Charger)