Like I said before, I keep my eyes open for any compatible lens with my Nikon D40x SLR. I know discussions where people spoke about not buying this affordable performant camera for one single reason: there are not enough compatible lenses (lenses that have an integrated focus motor). But, the manufacturers already solved the problem:
– first it was the NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
– then there were Tamron AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II (Model A18N II) and AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)
– and now it is the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3
This new lens from Sigma is a 11.1x high zoom ratio lens with a built-in AF motor allowing autofocus with all Nikon APS-C DSLR cameras. (it’s exactly what I was waiting for)
The built-in motor is capable of autofocusing with all Nikon DSLR cameras. Two SLD (Special Low Dispersion) lenses and two Aspherical glass elements provide excellent correction for all types of aberration. Sigmas super multi-layer coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides high image quality throughout the zoom range. However, vignetting will occur if the lens is used with 35mm SLR cameras, APS format film cameras or digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size, including 5:4 and FX format of Nikon D3 camera.
An inner focusing system also eliminates front lens rotation, making the lens particularly suitable for using the petal lens hood and circular polarizing filters. A zoom lock switch mechanism is provided to prevent the lens from creeping due to its own weight.
* Lens construction : 15 Elements 13 Groups
* Angle of view : 76.5Â°- 8.1Â°
* Number of blades : 7pcs
* Minimum Aperture (W) : F22
* Minimum Focusing Distance : 45cm / 17.7in.
* Maximum Magnification : 1:4.4
* Filter Size : Ã˜62mm
* Dimensions(Diameter x Length) : Ã˜70mm X 75.6mm / 2.8in. X 3.0in.
* Weight : 395g / 13.9oz
SIGMA DG UV 62mm 00-85126-92372-3
SIGMA DG WIDE CIRCULAR PL 62mm 00-85126-92383-9
LENS HOOD LH680-01(Supplied) 00-85126-91730-2